Monday 5 August 2013

At the Summer School

The Indigo vat went off well.This is the remnants of the vat used for the Newbury coat in 2011. I perked it up with more indigo and sodium hydro sulphite and lots of people went off happy. Although one person complained that it was too dark a blue! I dyed a couple of skeins myself, one cotton chenille which has turned out well. At the end of the day, I threw out what was left in the vat as I think two years is quite long enough.

Rosie brought me some fine wool as in 2/30 from the sale at the Whitchurch Sale Mill. Lovely stuff. I must use it. I have plans for a number of scarves which I want to take to an exhibition in September.

On Saturday evening Cally Booker arrived from Dundee and we spent the evening eating curry and gossiping about weaving etc. On Sunday I finished off a load of small jobs and we drove to Carmarthen by way of the Welsh Botanic Gardens. It rained all the time and the only thing we appreciated was a photographic exhibition of flowers and gardens. Then on to the Summer School where the next few hours were spent chatting, finding out where we were supposed to be and generally sorting ourselves out. There are six Kennet Valley members and Debbie Richardson managed to get us all into the same flat. Result, six people sitting around in the kitchen late in the evening, eating biscuits and drinking wine and knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.