Monday 17 October 2011

JAPANESE FABRIC EXAMPLES

These are four samples of patterned silk from Kyoto. The two left hand ones are Yuzen. The top right hand one is woven roses - and does not show up well. Not sure about the fourth one.
















 Two examples of kasuri  (warp and weft ikat) from Kyoto. Both are silk.












































Hana-ori from Okinawa. You can clearly see the flowers in this large sample which is cotton.

And this is hana ori too - on bashofu, the banana tree bark fibre. A tiny piece because it was so expensive!!! On the left is a small piece of the fibre. This is the thick stuff from the outer bark layers. The fine fibre of the weaving is from the inner bark.










This is a guard dog in bingata on hemp. Guard dogs are everywhere in Okinawa. If you are the Government, then they are four foot high and in bronze and very severe. If you are a shop keeper then they are likely to be in painted pottery 12 to 18 inches high and rather cheerful. They come in pairs which are slightly different. Needless to say I have a pair of terra cotta ones - rather small but very cheerful.









And this is my bingata stencil. I have written off to an American expert to see if he thinks I should put a protective layer on it before use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.